Flashing and Rooting RedMi Note 3
I have wanted to root the RedMi Note 3 （红米3）. Looking into the tutorials online, rooting with Linux for RedMi Note 3 does not seem to be an easy task.
Some useful guides helps, unofficial rooting and miui thread. Hope this guide helps in flash + root RedMi Note 3 officially with Linux. ^^
How I root? Unlock the bootloader officially, flash with china developer rom and then root it. Does it really worth it? The official su sucks so nope. :(
Important: Read this first, please note that Microsoft Windows is needed for unlocking the bootloader for MiFlashUnlock, tried wine but does not work.
Rooting does not work on global rom so I use develper rom. Specifically, the China developer rom which does comes with china apps instead of google apps.
- Request to unlock from boot loader.
- Wait for few days (mine took 4 days).
- Download and install the MiFlash on Windows.
- Plug-in the phone and unlock it.
红米Note3 全网通 最新 开发版.
- 全网通 allows 电信、移动、联通 at the same time
- 开发版 is the developer rom
After bootloader has been unlocked, use a Linux computer to flash bootloader.
- Get device ID (
lsusb) and add to udev rules
- Goto fastboot:
adb reboot bootloaderor hold volume down + power on boot
fastboot getvar product, download rom on miui (check name)
- Boot to fastboot after enabled
Enable OEM Unlockin developer options
- After download, uncompress the rom file and run
sudo sh flash_all.sh
- Note: Data is gone after flashing
Setting up Device
After flashing, there's a few things you would like to do:
- root the device - 安全中心 » 权限管理 » 开启ROOT权限
- install google play, apk install fails, use 谷歌安装器